Twentieth Century

  • NANTCLWYD HOUSE, RUTHIN, DENBIGHSHIRE, 1916 and 1942

    Our multi-period recreation of Nantclwyd House's interiors includes two rooms which continue the house's history into the 20th century.

    Between 1907 and 1917, the house served as the rectory of the nearby parish of Llanfyrog. The 'chamber over the porch' (a structurally 17th-century room) was recreated as the study of the Reverend Thomas Prichard, as in about 1916. Furnishings included a hand-printed copy of a 1901 wallpaper, Victorian and Edwardian antique furniture, and contemporary photos of Mr. Prichard's parishioners and parishes.

    'New technology' is also represented. The house was among the first in Ruthin to be connected to the telephone, in 1905: so we acquired a genuine original Ericsson 'wind-up' telephone of c.1902-10, on a mahogany battery case. In 1914 Nantclwyd was also equipped for electric light, represented here by an original c.1914 'Art Nouveau' pendant light, kindly donated by the owners of a nearby house.

    Following extensive restoration--including the conservation of 18th-century heraldry on the gallery--Nantclwyd's entrance hall was meanwhile recreated very nearly as it appeared in a photograph taken in 1942. Thanks to the generosity of the Dyer-Gough family, the last private owners of the house, we were even able to re-introduce some of the original items which appeared in the 1942 photo, including the carpet.

    During the six years which transformed Nantclwyd House from a derelict wreck to a multi-period visitor attraction, many people (both local and from all over Britain) were involved in the recreation. Some of them, including our craftspeople and suppliers, site staff, local government officials, hoteliers, local donors of furniture and Denbighshire dignitaries, attended the grand preview before public opening in 2007

    For other recreated rooms in this multi-period house, please see the Mediaeval, Stuart, Georgian and Victorian period sections

    Green Apple award for sustainable conservation, 2008
    First prize: RICS Wales Award for building conservation, May 2008
    Civic Trust Commendation, 2009

    (Photographs: Gareth Parry)

    For Denbighshire County Council, 2000-2007
    Nantclwyd House (Nantclwyd-y-Dre) is open to visitors: https://www.denbighshire.gov.uk/en/visitor/places-to-visit/museums-and-historic-houses/nantclwyd-y-dre.aspx

     

  • BLAENAVON IRONWORKS, STACK SQUARE COTTAGES: 1926, 1944, 1953 and 1967

NANTCLWYD HOUSE, RUTHIN, DENBIGHSHIRE, 1916 and 1942

Get in touch

Send us an enquiry